Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TT: Small Rewards

Teacher Tip: Don't underestimate the power of small rewards. The students in my all-boys ,small group go crazy over stickers. Granted, my collection is awesome-- from animals to Spider-Man to patterned stars, hearts and excellent jobs!-- but even I, who acknowledges that middle school students of all grades thoroughly enjoy stickers, am surprised!

I had an honor system, but I have to seize control of the situation because two of the five are lying about how many they've taken. It's not that serious, but its the principle. I will teach it!

Also, star students in my larger classes get fun pencils and erasers as rewards. They eat it up. Part of it is that praise, or acknowledgement, and the other part is the actual reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment