Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chip on Shoulder

There's a girl in one of my classes who has a chip on her shoulder. You could say hello to her, and she'll catch an attitude. The other day, I checked her class work and gave her a pointer. She caught an attitude. I simply addressed it in a very nonchalant way, as though I could be talking about giving text evidence. I told her, "You don't need attitude here."

And that was that.

I often address a situation, like the one here and some more troubling, with a piece of correction knowledge, and then walking away. If the student wants to talk back, I don't give her a chance.  I said the last word, and there is nothing more to say.

A few students will eventually apologize, but at least I acknowledged the situation. It's important that students understand that teachers will correct them when wrong.

Love,
Miss M

No comments:

Post a Comment