Friday, September 21, 2012

Dress For Where You Want to Be

A co-worker commented today: don't dress for where you are, but for where you want to be.  Well, said.  Sometimes teachers get too comfortable, I know I struggled in my last year at my old school.  But for me, someone who always took pride in dressing my teacher persona, wearing more weekend-type outfits was not a good thing.  It symbolized an unhappiness with my then position.  I felt stagnant and less motivated by the overall school community.

Needless to say, I am back on track.  I once again dress everyday with the thought, I am going to work.  It's important to me, that I am able to separate my teacher-self from my overall self.  A teacher is just one of the many things that I am.  On the weekend, I dress differently and in the summer, you can find me in short shorts.  When a teacher dresses professionally at work, it also communicates that she takes her job seriously.  I've actually heard people at my last school say, why dress up?  We're just coming to work.  I can't even begin with that!  All I can say, is thank goodness I do not have that outlook on life.

On that note, I'm going to pick out a weekend outfit-- probably high-waisted skinny jeans and platforms-- and enjoy my Friday night.

Love,
Miss M


No comments:

Post a Comment