Thursday, September 13, 2012

In a State of Transition

It is fitting that it took me seven years to start this blog, but everything is in time. I am in a space of transition. I have moved into a new apartment; I have started new work at another school; and I am going through a few personal shifts as well.

I am learning that not all changes, transitions, shifts, whatever you choose to name them as, manifest in obvious, unmistakable ways. My new apartment is literally two floors down in the same brownstone; my new work is still with special education students but in a different capacity and in addition to teaching mainly general education students; and my internal shifts, well all it took was thinking a few new thoughts and some deep breathing.

 As I near the end of my first full week, I know that my decision to start a new position was the right one. I am at a school where I will be challenged in new and exciting ways, and I know that I will continue to grow as an educator. It was a very hard decision to leave my old school, where I taught for six, heartfelt years, but it was a very necessary one.

Prior to this shift, I had one foot out the door. I had what I call a love-strong dislike relationship with teaching. I was so ready to quit by year five, and I even started a blog originally titled "I Quit So Hard." It makes me chuckle now to write this, but that was a sentiment that ran through my head one day as I took a seat at my desk in the middle of my teaching period. As I reflected, some clear statements came to mind, such as: I can't. I won't. I refuse. This is too much.

And it was. Teaching has been such an amazing experience, I don't know where to begin sometimes. Hopefully, this blog will chronicle many of those stories, observations, lessons and tips that I've accumulated thus far, and will continue to as my seventh year progresses. In between, there will be some fun, never too serious, photos of me in my work outfits.On that note, here's to the many learning styles, and the respect that they all warrant.

Love.
Miss M

No comments:

Post a Comment