Monday, July 7, 2014

Flowers and Stripes

It took me a little over a week, but I am finally starting to function again.  What I'm realizing now that I have eight years of teaching middle school under my belt, that it does get easier.  In the past it has taken me weeks to decompress from the school year.  I seriously just would not function, and I would have nightmares from the year.  This time around, I slept in, watched three seasons of the Borgias, caught up with friends and even started up an exercise routine.  Yup, it gets easier.  

Here's what I wore to a fourth of July potluck.

cropped top from Marshall's, Express striped pencil skirt, leather platforms from DSW, Coach clutch
What I like about this outfit is that it's easy and flattering.  The cloth skirt is comfortable.  It actually fits a little loose, but is form-fitting and sits high on the waist.

I chose to soften this look with warm accents, such as brown leather platforms and bangles.  I considering wearing black wedges, but matching too much can be a bit boring.  Adding brown leather pieces makes me feel a little more casual, not not too much.

I love mixing patterns!  This is one of my safer mixes, but fun nonetheless.  When in doubt, make there is a common, dominant color in both pieces, just like the black in this outfit.

assorted midi rings from Forever 21 and Nordstrom, bangles from a street-vendor in SoHo

details!

My look of the summer consists of a bold lip, such as this orangey red from M.A.C. called So Chaud, and braided locs.

black and gold heart studs from Forever 21

Happy July!
<3
M

No comments:

Post a Comment